The Gimli Business Park was built in 1943 under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, originally called the Royal Canadian Air Forces Station Gimli, to train air crews for WWII and then post war as flying training schools. In 1968, it was renamed the Canadian Forces Base (CFB). CFB Gimli was closed in 1971 and became the Gimli Industrial Business Park. The former living quarters have been converted to Aspen Park condominiums and are privately owned. There are still some original buildings in the 1396 acre park with numerous businesses.
Originally, there were 2 runways, but the west runway has been closed and is now called the Gimli MotorSports Park. The Gimli Motorsports Park is owned by the RM of Gimli and managed by the Gimli CDC, is home to Interlake Dragway, Winnipeg Sports Car Club, Manitoba RoadRacing Association, and Manitoba Karting Association. This is also the site of the famous Gimli Glider.
The remaining runway (Runway 15/33) is 6,800 feet long and is still in use today by various groups such as 17 Wing Winnipeg, Manitoba Water Bombers, Regional Gliding School (Prairie), Interlake Aviation, etc and is open to everyone. Recently the airport has installed Av Gas and Jet A1 Fuel.
The Regional Gliding School (Prairie) originally opened in Gimli in 1984, moved to Penhold in 1987 and then returned to Gimli in 1998 and still operates training cadets during the summer months. The cadets reside in the Gimli Training Centre, which was the former CN Railway Training Centre from 1977-1995. The building is now owned by the RM of Gimli and managed by the Gimli CDC.