The Gimli Airport was built in 1943 to train aircrews as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan for the Second World War. It was originally called Royal Canadian Air Forces Station Gimli, but was renamed Canadian Forces Base in 1968.
The CFB Gimli was closed in 1971 and lands were transferred to the Province of Manitoba. Slowly, the province began to turn lands and control over to the municipality.
The province still currently owns the airport, but the RM of Gimli holds a lease and the ownership certificate.
The Gimli Airport is now home to the Regional Gliding School (Prairie) and MGAS Water Bombers in the summer months along with many other users such as 17 Wing Winnipeg, Prairie Helicopters, and Interlake Aviation.